A shelter is crucial for survival.
Having a roof over you and walls around you is important to keep you:
- Warm, and
- Gives you privacy.
But making a shelter is sometimes not such an easy task to accomplish in a practical situation. Sometimes, you may catch a break and find an empty cave (without any wild animals). Or it may be possible to make a shelter out of what you find in the woods (a survival expert can do it). Or you might even stumble upon an empty cabin. It just might happen, who knows…
Those are all great options for providing a shelter, but they rely on fortune, and relying on fortune when survival is at stake, is always an awful idea. Now, the majority of people are not survival experts. That means you always want to have the next best thing, to bring a shelter to camping with you.
Tents are one of the most clever survival inventions that the humankind has created.
People have been using tents for about 43,000 years. To paint a better picture, we knew how to build portable shelters even before we knew how to do agriculture. And people had a long time to perfect our tent technology.
Modern tents are vastly more sophisticated, elaborate and specific than the tents of our ancestors.
But that poses a problem – choosing the right one for you can be overwhelming!
Things you need to check out when looking at different types of tents:
- Space: Dimensions of the floor and height of the tent.
- How many individuals can really stay in one of these tents?
- Easy installation
- Durability is important.
- How many does it have doors?
- Quality of the materials?
- Weather Resistance is crucial.
- Space for storage: Vestibules pockets and portable garages.
- Weight and size (in a bag).
- Ground Size.
- Do they have a footprint?
- Other features of a tent kit.
Top 10 Survival Tents 2018 Best of the Best
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Made from polyester.
- Made in the USA or imported.
- Dome tent which has a big interior that allows moving around comfortably.
- Quick and easy setup. It takes 10 minutes only.
- It has an exclusive Coleman WeatherTec™ system, welded floors (both patented), and inverted stitching of the fabric that helps to keep you dry.
- Big windows and a big ground vent to give you some fresh air and great ventilation.
- Dimensions: 9 x 7 ft², and 4-feet and 11-inches of height in the center.
- The ground vent and big windows let air move in and out.
- Big interior gives plenty of room inside.
- Dome design which allows a quick and easy setup, done in 15 minutes.
- Continuous support pole sleeves, that allow for a quick and easy setup. Sleeves are also snag-free.
- Tent-fly cover which gives you shade and protects you from the rain.
- Many storage pockets that help with keeping your gear organized.
- WeatherTec™ system and welded floors (both patented), and inverted stitching all work together to keep you dry.
- Insta-Clip™ support pole attachments that can stand against the wind.
- Dimensions of the footprint: 9 x 7ft². It can fit 4 people or a queen-sized airbed.
- Height in the center: 4 feet and 11 inches of height in the center, easy to move around.
- Bag for carrying is included for an easier transport.
- It has a 1-year warranty (limited).
- The tent is affordable, it is lightweight, easy to set up, and it fulfills its role very well.
- You can assemble it in just 3 to 5 minutes (with a bit of practice).
- The instructions for assembly are a great guide if you forget the 3 steps.
- It has only one door.
I’m not an expert camper or a guy who knows all about camping. I just enjoy to go a couple of times a summer and to get away from the city for a bit. This tent is exactly what you need! I am from Oregon, so I am never 100% sure when it is going to rain. Once I woke up wet in my old tent, and then I decided to only consider buying tents which have the “bathtub” design.
I just bought this tent and I tried installing it, alone, in the living room. It took me about 10 minutes. There is definitely more than enough space for two people. However, the person who sleeps on the back side, next to the window, is definitely going to struggle to go out without waking up the other one. Still, this is a great tent, and I can hardly wait to take it outside ASAP!
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Living zone pre-bended to form vertical walls that give more room in the living area.
- It has 1 grand double door, and rear doors that have 2 vestibules and are the shape of the letter D.
- It has a pocket which can safely hold your lamp to give you some ambient light.
- Strategic placement of the clip results in a bigger interior space.
- Taped seams give great water protection. Full coverage tent-fly protects you against the weather. Vents keep the air fresh. Taped seams on the floor (catenary cut).
- Many pockets inside for organizing your small gear and the footprint is included.
- Clips and poles are color-coded to make the set up easier. Silent nylon zipper.
- DAC made the press-fit support poles. Primary poles, and the ridge pole made of aluminum 7000 alloys.
- The fabric of the canopy: 40d thick, 100% polyester fibers, an insect net which is fire retardant. Or 68d thick, 100% polyester fibers taffeta which is fire retardant.
- Dimensions: 43 x 54 x 88 inches (109 x 137 x 224 cm). Ground area: 33 ft², 3.0 square meters.
- This is a very spacious tent which has many storage areas. It is cozy, easy to get in and get out.
- I can pitch it by myself, in under 15 minutes.
- It takes just 5 minutes to break it apart.
- Very easy to fold it and pack it in the bag.
- Not a lot of room for things other than your sleeping necessities.
This is a very spacious tent which has many storage areas. It is very cozy, easy for moving in and out, and I can pitch it without any help, in under 15 minutes. Only 5 minutes to break apart. Very easy to fold and pack it in the bag. I still did not use it in bad weather, but it has a high bathtub floor and a full rain zipper. And because of that, I expect to stay comfortable, warm, and dry when it rains. It is really great to have a visible rooftop and side parts of the tent when I am outside, away from the city lights. The tent fly can be pulled over completely when I am sleeping or when it is raining!
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Original new design: An aluminum-made hub tent frame structure which maximizes interior space, it is not heavy, it is very durable, and it allows a fast and easy pitching and breakdown, which gives you the time to go trekking that one extra mile.
- Shelter for 3 seasons: Made to endure different kinds of weather. It has seam-taped tent-fly with full-coverage and a durable water-resistant footprint which provides maximum protection from rain, mud, and water.
- Breathability: Heavy storm or beautiful, clear skies, the Galaxi Tent for two makes the mugginess bearable with its NEMO’s tent-fly vents. It invites the nice breeze through its durable and airy mesh.
- Dry storage for your gear: Because of its double door, the Galaxi Tent features 22 ft² of spacious vestibule space for keeping your boots, gear, and your pets, and all of this while it keeps a clean and dry space inside.
- Spacious and easy to pack. It has a generous 90 x 54 inches floor, weighs 5 pounds and 6 ounces, and when it is packed its size is 18 x 6.5 inches. This tent is made for prolonged backpacking adventures, one-night car camping or long stays in nice fields.
- This is a very spacious tent that has many storage areas.
- It is comfortable, it is easy to go in and out, and I can put it up, by myself, in under 15 minutes.
- It takes about 5 minutes to break it down.
- It is simple to fold and pack it in the bag.
- It is worth the money. It is just the right size.
- The weight is not too much, and it is not too large when it is packed.
- Well built tent. Cozy. It has lots of different features.
- Nicely designed, some serious thought was put into creating this tent.
- Only complaint is that there aren’t enough stakes for the guy lines on the tent-fly.
Very simple to pitch it. I put it up at home before I used it outside. First time outside with it, I came late to the campsite. I was able to put it up in about 3 minutes in the dark. I only had my headlights to help me. It is enormous for one, but it has more than enough space for two. The walls are connected to the poles in such a way that it provides more vertical space. I’m 6 feet tall, and I can sit normally inside this tent. I can also lay flat in it, front to back, and I don’t touch the walls. The color of dirt. Comes with a drawstring sack, a repair kit, a footprint, guyline rope, and with stakes. Great value for the money! I was very happy with this tent and I highly recommend this tent to anyone without any hesitation.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- It is backpack-friendly and comes with easy to pack folding poles. Color-coded cable clip, and a tent-fly attachment, and GearLoft storage. Wall material: 68D thick polyester, 40D thick mesh. Floor material: 68D thick nylon, 1800 mm.
- Roll top cooler cube, simple to set up, free-standing, fabric for the walls is mesh.
- Hug clip made by Kelty, easy to enter a D-shaped door, storage pockets, fully seam-sealed structure.
- Seasons: 3, Doors: 1, Vestibules: 1, Poles: 2, Capacity: 2.
- Area of the floor: 30.5 ft² (2.83 m²), Area of the vestibule: 10 ft² (0.93 m²). The material of the walls: 68D thick polyester, 40D thick mesh. The material of the floor: 68D thick nylon, 1800 mm.
- Salida tent is all-around great, and a light tent for backpacking. The Salida tent for 2 has a bit more than 10 ft² of vestibule room and a large interior that gives 2 people a comfortable escape to nature.
- 3 Season 2 Person tent from Kelty is ideal for your backpacking trip.
- Freestanding structure. DAC press-fit stakes and a color-coded clip frame.
- 2 pole structure that allows a fast and easy pitching.
- Seasons: 3, Doors: 1, Poles: 2, Capacity: 2, Vestibules: 1.
- Dimensions: Minimum weight is: 3 pounds and 14 ounces, Packed weight is: 4 pounds and 9 ounces, Ground area is: 30.5 feet, Vestibule area is: 10 feet, Length is: 88 inches, Width is: 55/45 inches, Height is: 43 inches, Packed size is: 13 x 15 inches.
- Lightweight and worth the money.
- Good ventilation which doesn’t lose the heat.
- There are no occurrences of morning wetness on the fabric in the tent.
- Very easy setup. It can stand without the stakes.
- High-quality material. Has a full-coverage rain-fly.
- A very spacious tent. It can accommodate 4 (and 4 can fit inside if you don’t mind the people around you).
- It can accommodate 2 or 3 easily WITH all of your gear inside.
- The stakes of this tent are not great. It would be a good idea to buy some custom stakes because these stakes bend too easy when you try to stick them in the earth which is not soft.
I got this tent to use it for backpacking in the summer, in Michigan. Putting it up is EXTREMELY easy. This tent is the simplest to put up of all that I have used so far. The tent fly which is included is also easy to install. After a few tests, I had enough of practice to put it up in just 2 minutes while it was raining on me. The seams are very tight, there is no leaking. It Is spacious for one, and it is light enough for one to carry as well. It can accommodate 2 average sized people and 2 packs, easily. The tent fly forms a vestibule that keeps your boots safe and dry from any kind of water and a small space where you can cook something.
All in all… you won’t find a better bargain for the money.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Material: 20d of thick, micro nylon mesh OR 40d of thick, woven ripstop nylon.
- Unique pole structure gives the maximum headroom and can fit two mattresses. Has an adaptable tent-fly that allows for an amazing view.
- Includes a footprint that allows for a Fast and Light setup, includes a tent-fly, a freestanding structure and the stakes which are color-coded, and clips and an insect net.
- Mesh and firm fabric walls give warmth, ventilation, and privacy.
- Minimum weight is 4.63 pounds. Using the Fast and Light method it weighs 3.57 pounds. Packed weight is 5.81 pounds.
- Vestibule Area is 17.5 ft² (8.75 + 8.75). Ground Area is 29 ft².
- The tent holds up amazingly, even in strong winds.
- It is lightweight and it is all I ever wanted to get from a backpacking tent!
- The materials and the quality of the build is top shelf!
- My only complaint about this tent is the stakes.
- It comes with the usual aluminum coated shepherd hooks.
Great tent! I am in love with this tent. There are different tents that are slightly lighter for a similar price, but I wanted to get a brand that has a well-known reputation. Setup is easy as it is expected. The tent comes with a footprint and that is always a plus. Zippers are smooth and don’t snag. Two people can fit (side to side) easily, but that is it. Your gear is going to stay out or on your belly. The materials and the quality of the build is top shelf!
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Full seam-sealed floor and awning.
- Easy to set up design.
- High-low vents that provide better breathability.
- Plenty of headroom.
- Two doors.
- The pitching is very easy.
- Our first night out we went a bit farther than we originally planned and we had no problems to set up the tent and the tent-fly in the fading sunlight.
- Packing it in the bag and unpacking it was very simple and it was unlike other more durable family tents which I used before.
- The mesh is great and it allows for great airflow inside.
- It is a bit big and heavy.
- I got a 65 liters pack and this tent needed most of that space.
- I was able to bring all that I needed for my 3-day trip (and some things I didn’t).
- If I was preparing for a longer trip or worse weather, I’m not certain that I could fit everything necessary in the pack.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- There’s no frustration over assembly with the Lynx Tent line. This is a free-standing, two-stakes aluminum structure. It is easy-peasy to set up.
- Tent-fly made from polyester is water-resistant and resistant to UV damage. It also has two vestibules which add some more storage space.
- Fully stocked with a gear loft, 8 zippers, stakes, storage pockets, guy ropes and two doorways.
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is one of the best sellers. it’s simply essential for different kinds of adventures.
- Floor Size: 5 x 7,6 ft², Vertical Height: 46 inches, Weight: 5 pounds and 15 ounces, Minimum Weight: 5 pounds and 4 ounces.
- This is tent is perfect for beginners, and my wife and I can easily fit inside.
- We slept in it during heavy wind and rain. After the rain, it was still dry inside.
- We also used it with the tent-fly off and the mesh gave us a great view of the stars in the sky.
- It is difficult to find any tent that, for this price, also gets you aluminum poles.
- The small window is plastic and can be frustrating, but still it is not a major annoyance.
- The vestibules are kind of small. There are two vestibules and that is enough for your gear.
Amazing tent! Used it on my Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway trip. It was a motorcycle trip. It was dry with some rain. There was no leaking. Rain-fly spread over with room to pack your boots and bags, beneath the cover at night, in close reach. The doors can be fixed and left half open for getting in and out easily. Vents on top are a plus.
Once I forgot to open them during a night, the tent was sweating inside. When they are open they will breathe and vent. Having two doors is a plus. Aluminum-made poles, not from fiberglass, they are of great quality. You can set it up and break it down in a couple of minutes. After a night of rain, I carried the tent while it was still set-up. Brought it to my parking spot and placed it next to my bike and left it in the sun. It dried off in minutes; I shook off the debris, rolled it into the bag, and went my way. I replaced the provided tent pegs with those that you can screw-in. They are tougher, they hold down the tent better, and you don’t need a hammer. Crowded for two people, but more than enough for one. It has plenty of room for gear and your clothes inside. The top storage net is great for hanging your lamp for some night reading.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- 0.17 meters of height.
- 0.38 meters of width.
- Canopy is created from proprietary-patterned, polyester, and ripstop nylon double mesh. The tent-fly and floor are created from one of a kind, proprietary ripstop nylon, which has 25% better tear strength. The double nylon-made ripstop pattern is 20% stronger for extraordinary durability.
- Double-tone mesh gives privacy while still allowing enough transparency to look at the night sky. Fully seam-sealed with water-resistant and solvent-free Polyurethane tape (no PVC and no VOC). Amazingly light construction.
- 3 seasons, and free-standing structure. It uses a high-volume stakes structure for more vertical walls. It has four stakes, and a high-volume hub also improves firmness and strength and gives a larger living area.
- It has two doors and logically two vestibules. It also has storm flaps which are added to the vestibule fly. Large, double-zipper doors have discrete seams which make it easy to enter and close. It has a nice, clean, and modern look. Quick Stash makes it easy to pack the doors even if they are unzipped.
- Extra-large pocket on the ceiling for some extra storage. One big mesh pocket for your devices that has two cord-directing portals which are added over your head. It lets you forward your earbud cables from your smartphone or some other device. It has a single fly vent.
- The tent is very light.
- It stays dry on the inside even when it is very cold outside the moisture simply evaporates.
- And the best thing about it is it has a lot of space.
- The handy pockets on the inside which are used for little things that people usually loose!
- Getting a footprint is always a good thing.
- It increases the lifespan of the floor.
- I think I’d be great to have the option of getting one.
Great tent. I got the Copper Spur for 3 people in green color.
Kept me completely dry during a downpour. I did also buy a footprint separately. Many pockets that the tent has and that you can use to store your gear are just great.
Two vestibules keep everything dry while you are entering or going out, and also provide great storage. Zippers are great and I never had problems with snagging.
I like having the option of putting it up with only half of the tent-fly used. It is great for star gazing before falling asleep, and it allows for better circulation of air when it is hot outside.
A footprint is always great to have to increase the lifespan of the floor. Selling them as a set would be a great idea. Amazing tent. Surprisingly spacious.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- 3 seasons, a freestanding tent for two people.
- Has two doors and two vestibules.
- Bathtub floor with sealed seams.
- Mesh walls which provide better ventilation.
- Detachable loft on the ceiling and mesh pockets for storage inside.
- Clip-pole linking that can reduce weight and improve airflow.
- Guy rope attachment points.
- Guy ropes that have the “tri-glide” adjustment, and are reflective in the night.
- Tent fly has adaptable ventilation windows.
- SR tent that is color-coded and has a fly buckle link.
- Many grommet pole linking points.
- 7000 aluminum blend, Yunan poles.
- Instructions for set-up are printed on packing bag.
- Eight aluminum-reinforced 6061 V-stakes.
- Well made tent, seam-sealed, and durable fabric.
- Poles are made from great quality aluminum.
- The tent is big enough for two adults. It is very easy to put up and the listed weight is accurate.
- There are a lot of small storage areas in this tent.
- There are many storage pockets on the walls and one hanging from the ceiling.
- Assembly is fast and similar to other dome tents. I think this tent is very well made.
- . I believe it would be the best for two people sharing the weight.
- It is great that it has two doors and two vestibules.
- The vestibules are big enough for boots and a pack.
- Two doors allow you to get out freely in the night without waking up anybody.
- The tent might be considered to be a bit heavy.
- If you share the weight between two it works great, but that is for you to decide.
- The ventilation and the air flow are so-so.
I used this tent on single-day trips and multi-day as well. Used it in the snow, rain, desert, and in the cold high mountains. I used this freestanding tent on rocky ground without the tent-fly and in soft ground with the tent-fly. I used this tent on a 100-degree day and on a below freezing day. I have no problems with its ability to endure the majority of regular weather conditions. I used it by myself with all of my gear in it and shared this tent with another person and there was a lot of space for us to move around comfortably while our gear was inside the vestibules. Two doors is always a plus when two people use a tent. I have a very good opinion of this tent. This is a very versatile tent that is worth the money.
I bought this tent especially for my backpacking trip, and I have used it several times since. I never had a problem with it. After more than 10 camping trips where I used this tent, I am ready to try a different model. I am still going to keep it and keep using it for my trips. My biggest wish is that this tent was a bit lighter. I am trying out more Ultralight backpacking and I would like a tent that is half of this weight. But if two people are camping, they could easily share the weight of this tent.
Great value. High-quality structure. Quick setup.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
- Inside of the tent is made from a BIG PANEL of 21TEX polyester that is great for protection against cold-weather, and it is great for dry weather. IT has a mesh roof. The doors are double-layered which allows for cross ventilation (HIGH-LOW), and reduces condensation greatly. It is outstanding for warm-weather conditions.
- This tent is created to sustain years of service. Water Resistance is TESTED and DEPENDABLE. Ripstop tent fly is FULLY TAPED with Polyurethane coating (3000mm). BATHTUBE tent floor is fully TAPED and corners are carefully welded. That keeps everything in the tent bone dry even in stormy weather.
- Multi-purpose GEAR LOFT made from mesh offers useful storage for your gear, but also helps to spread the light evenly to make a comfortable ambient. REINFORCED CORNERS. The corners can handle constant stress and pulling. It has SBS zippers which won’t make you crazy.
- 2 VESTIBULES make a lot of space for gear. Vestibule doors could be fixed to completely closed or partly open for venting or for giving you shade while keeping your gear safe. Mesh-made doors can only be opened FROM INSIDE. This can stop intruders and it gives you absolute privacy while you are in nature. It has a good peak height which gives a lot of headroom to sit up.
- Dimensions: Floor: 55.1 x 82.6 inches. Maximum Height: 43.3 inches. Vestibule: 8.7 ft² +6.8 ft². Packed Weight: 5.7 pounds. Features: 2 guy ropes,12 aluminum poles. FOOTPRINT is always a must to increase the lifespan of a tent. Best for backcountry adventures, car camping, alpine backpacking. Scroll down to see the designer’s note for this model of Luxe Tempo Tent (sleeping pads, sleeping bags, and footprint are sold individually).
- It is a tent of great quality, it is a great concept made into reality.
- When I was done with pitching the tent, it started to rain.
- The two layers keep the inside dry, all the while it ventilates the tent very well.
- Vestibules can be completely closed or partly open for ventilation or to give you shade.
- It is a great design.
- A small issue with the pocket on the side.
- When it was made, it looks like the mesh bent over, and now it gives a smaller storage spot.
Overall this tent is great. I never saw these aluminum poles, but they are very sturdy, much sturdier than poles of a cheaper tent. The floor is also well made.
I love to use this tent! It was really humid outside and I was completely dry and comfortable inside of my tent. When you add the footprint, it keeps the floor safe from both water and any debris. They can both seriously damage the floor if you don’t have a footprint.
This tent is a must-have in honest opinion. You get great quality for the price.