A survival hammock is one of the most useful pieces of equipment during a zombie apocalypse. In spite of that, it is routinely underestimated and overlooked when it comes to preparing for this type of situation. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why these hammocks are so important:
Sleeping during a zombie apocalypse SUCKS If you don’t have a survival hammock
This is the main reason why survival hammocks are so useful. Sleeping is one the main problems that you have to deal with during a zombie outbreak. Zombies never sleep… they have a significant edge on you.
Going to sleep without being well protected is one of the most dangerous things you can do; trying to sleep as little as possible doesn’t work either because then you’d be sleepy the rest of the day, which means that your reaction time would be slower and you wouldn’t be able to think clearly. When you’re facing the undead you need to be fully alert at all times if you want to minimize the risk of being eaten.
It’s important to sleep up high, with an avenue to escape and every route to you blocked.
You could sleep on roofs, for example. If you block the doors to the roof the zombies won’t be able to get anywhere near you because they’re not smart enough to come up with a way to get to where you are.
But what if you are in the woods, for example? What if there are no roofs around you? This is where the survival hammock comes in handy. It allows you to sleep up high, where the zombies can’t reach you. This will allow you to get a good night of sleep every day, which is essential for your survival.
You can set your hammock pretty much anywhere. You can suspend it from trees, telephone poles, windows between buildings, etc.
With that said, you could wake up with a bunch of zombies hanging out under your hammock, which would make getting down pretty difficult if you don’t have a plan.
Set your hammock really high if you can; choose the tallest trees you can find or climb to; the undead will have a hard time finding you if you are really high above the ground, and that means that you probably won’t have a nasty surprise when you wake up.
If there’s a group of zombies waiting for you, the most important thing is to keep it together at all times; the problem can be circumvented through calm reactions and thoughtful preparing. This is what you can do:
- Choose a good tree: a tree with strong branches will provide you with more exits
- Setup diversions: attach cans to strings that you can pull to distract them; you can also use flares for this
- Use a long rope to set up a sort of fence on the ground, it could prevent them from getting near you
- Stay in the tree and kill them all, one by one, slowly but surely. It’s better to use a silent weapon if you can
A spear would be a great weapon for this because it can be made on the spot and it’s silent. It’s much better than killing the zombies that have gathered under you with a firearm because it could draw unwanted attention to you. Saving ammo is important too, of course.
Another thing that you should keep in mind is that in a hammock, air flows under you. That’s why you have to wrap yourself in your blankets. Pulling them over you is not enough, you could freeze to death.
It can be a bit tricky to get out of your survival hammock if you set it up really high in a tree. That’s why it’s important to practice now so that you don’t have to learn how to do it once the zombies are out to get you!
Surviving in the wilderness is tough
Zombies are not the only problem you’ll face when World War Z breaks out. Bears, wolves, raccoons… and people.
A good survival hammock will protect you from animal attacks because they won’t be able to reach you. This does not work as well with humans, though; they may not be able to reach you, but if they carry firearms or other weapons, you’re in trouble. People may try to kill you to steal your supplies. During a zombie outbreak, almost everybody is a potential enemy and you should treat them as such.
Even though a survival hammock will not necessarily make it impossible for humans to hurt you with their weapons, it will still protect you because it will make it harder for them to find you. The leaves from the trees that you are in will block you from view. Be careful when choosing the color, a red hammock is going to stick out a lot more than a green or black one. Other things to consider when choosing a hammock are your height and your weight.
Tents are not as practical
Carrying around a tent when you’re trying to reach a safe place is more difficult. Survival hammocks can be carried very easily and can be used as a zombie trap, chair, kite, sail and more.
Most importantly, zombies can’t reach you when you’re sleeping if you use a hammock; that’s not the case with tents.
It’s hard to hide a tent, which makes you vulnerable to all sorts of creatures, particularly other humans.
If a bunch of zombies sneak up on you while you’re in your tent, you’ll probably have to get out and escape… and now what? If you’re forced to leave your tent behind, you no longer have a place to sleep in, and maybe you also left behind other important supplies because you had no time to take them with you. You don’t have this problem with a hammock; zombies can’t sneak up on you, they can’t reach you.
All of this means that a survival hammock is one of the best survival tools during a zombie outbreak, probably much better than a regular tent. Everybody knows that weapons are very useful, but few people realize how important it is to have something that allows you to sleep safely.
- Triple stitching holds that interlock to hold a person comfortably, can carry up to 400 lb. in weight capacity. It is high quality and long lasting.
- Made of durable 210T parachute nylon
- Compact and lightweight- easy to carry around, its own full pack weighs around 16 oz.
- Fast setup- it is easy to unpack, done within minutes and without any special tools
- Length of about 9 feet and width of 4.5 feet
- Large enough to accommodate a whole family
- Its material is soft and comfortable to touch and lie in
- The materials air free- allowing the hammock to breath(free flow of air)
- Comes with a quality set of nylon ropes, ropes that have high quality. It also has heavy duty steel galvanized carabiners
- Easy to clean and maintain, it dries off moisture quickly and is resistant to mildew
- Affordable price going at around 24.99 dollars, a bargain for its features
- Has a 100% money back guarantee
- Great for camping and backpacking which could serve as an alternative to tents that are heavier
- Convenient and comfortable- its size takes a length of about 9 ft. and width of 4.5 ft. this is a wide enough space to relax and be comfy. The seams are places far away from the body to avoid causing any irritation or discomfort.
- There are no many different varieties of colors offered to choose from. it would be nice to have a variety of colors, but they are not available yet.
- Has dimensions of 9 ft. for the length and 5 ft. for the width
- Takes weight capacity of 400 pounds
- Comes with a system for suspensions and attachment
- Made with lightweight materials that are however very strong parachute materials
- The nylon is triple stitched to enhance strength and durability
- Goes for 35.98 dollars
- Perfect for creating an outdoor experience , or a survival experience
- Made using quality materials, as with all pro force products
- Tested in the toughest environments and has proved to be strong enough
- Easy to move around with
- Made in the united states of America
- Large enough for a family
- It looks more traditional with the ends having single connection points that seem narrowed. It’s however a good hammock for survival and outdoor stuff.
- Quality material used to make all Pro force products
- Has a length of 9 ft. and width of 4ft 8 inches
- Takes weight of up to 400 pounds
- When packed in its container, it has a size of 8 by 7 by 2.5 inches
- Comes with long ropes and suspension equipment, four of them
- Sold at 47.10 dollars
- Made of high quality materials, as with all pro force products
- Has stood the test for tough environments and its actually strong
- Has a mosquito net built within the product
- Great for modernizing the outdoors, any other survival experiences and camping
- Quite an price at 47.10 dollars
- Has four suspension points making it more spread out and comfy.
- The long ropes means they can only be hand-washed to avoid the ropes getting entangled in the machine
- Made of nylon, quality materials used for making parachutes
- Comes with hammock straps and steel carabiners
- Holds up to a weight of 400lbs
- The locks are triple interlocked for greater safety
- Has a drawstring sack for storage of the gear and other items
- The two carabiners are made of steel with two extra 5 feet 6 inch marine grade hang ropes
- Ropes have tree friendly sleeves for quick and easy setup
- Dimensions when unfolded are 10 ft. 6inches by 6ft 6in, while when packed are 7inches by 5 inches
- Has a weight when packed of 19oz
- Costs around 59.99 dollars
- Easy to setup without any tools
- Lightweight and highly portable- very compact and small when packed makes it easy to move around with
- The nylon is breathable allowing air to flow in and out of the hammock
- Great for hiking, backpacking, camping or traveling. They can also be used for parks, beaches and backyards
- The triple interlocking stitches enables the neolite to hold for many years, it assures you of durability
- The integrated stuff pack makes it very easy to pack
- The high breathable nylon is easy to wash and dries off very fast
- It is large enough to allow space for two people
- Only comes with the ropes and not the straps
- Holds up to 450 lbs. weight
- Has a shipping weigh of 4.8 pounds with dimension of 6 by 4 by 8 inches.
- Easy to carry around, unpack and set up
- Has a lifetime warranty
- It has large dimensions for its length and width, having been made to specifically allow for 2 people to sleep together in the hammock
- Has the nautical grade cord, with high strength metal links, which secures one to the poles or tree. It can be attaches to boat masts as well, or any other support point
- Comes with an in inbuilt sack for storage purposes, the sack is easy to break down
- Made of high quality parachute material, nylon fabric
- The hammock is made of heavy duty materials which makes it very durable
- The nylon is breathable, allows air in and out easily
- It goes for 43.19 dollars
- Has a good combination of size and strength
- The 1 or 2 person hammock holds up to 450 lbs. in weight, which is better than many other hammocks in the market which mostly have the maximum weight being a round 400 lbs.
- Great for outdoor uses, backpacking, fishing, travel, hiking and even backyard. Also great for survival circumstances.
- The hammock is very comfortable and spacious
- When compressed and packed it becomes very compact and easy to store
- Can act as a very useful beach or picnic blanket when such need arises
- It can be attached securely to almost anything with its cord which easily attaches to poles or even walls
- The suspensions are quite short. Compared to other hammocks, it needs the support structure to be a little more closer to it.